I've finally been able to sit down again and begin working on the computer answering emails and keeping people up to date. While I love being out with the locals, I think it is pretty important to keep you guys up to date as this is your work as much as it is ours. It's also good for me to sit here for a bit and collect my mind and sort out what has been going on. I know too often I am so busy running around trying to get things done that I never get to reflect on what has happened. And often there are a lot of funny/ strange/ tough/ great things about this culture that I am sure you would love to know about.
I can always blog about the slower/ less productive/ no guarantees about anything... way of life. But I'll try to stay away from that. I want to tell you some of the good things that keep a smile on our face. So maybe every couple days I will try to send something out...but I can't guarantee it. I might be busy, the power may be out, the internet might not work, I don't know...it's Africa;) So here is the first dose of Africa...
T-Shirts
Some of the funniest things we have encountered so far are the t-shirts that people are wearing. Now most of this country is wearing the clothes we might have owned 10 years ago. If any of you guys forgot what the 90s looked like, you may want to come here...
Anyways...most of the people don't know English, but they sure do have shirts that are written in English. Sometimes I see a University of Texas shirt (actually I see a lot of Texas shirts), other times Wisconsin/ California/ Alabama. A lot of University shirts for some reason? Maybe a bunch of college kids come here to help and leave their t-shirts. I haven't yet seen a TCU shirt....boo!!!! That will be the day though! But I wonder what I would do if I saw one...go up to the person and say, "Go Frogs"...but he would really have no clue what I was talking about? Anyways...
The better shirts are the ones that say, " World's Greatest Grandma" worn by a teenager. Or maybe even "Hot Chick" worn by a guy. Gap seems to have made an impact here...see many of those.
OH no...I just remembered something....I was in this crowded bus, and then I saw some Ethiopian wearing a shirt that I currently own and wear sometimes. If any of you know me really well...you may have noticed I have a certain style. Well that guy had an Andrew Haverly shirt on...literally..it was one of the ones I owned. Praise the Lord I was not wearing that shirt on that exact instance. That would have been weird. But I began to think...is my style way out of date? Or is this guy really fashion forward? I have to admit it is probably the former. Some American probably though that shirt was way ugly and decided to send it off to Africa. Oh well. I guess that makes me fit in more here.
Anyways, t-shirts. I'll let you know if I see any other great one!
Andrew
--
www.hellohaverlys.com
1 comment:
I'm a fan of this one :) Made my day. Maybe I'll send a TCU shirt for you to see on somebody. Always thinking of you all!
Post a Comment