Yesterday was pretty interesting; you never really know what to expect here. After a couple of days noticing the gas gauge was not moving, I assumed I was getting close to empty. So I pulled into the closest gas station to refuel. All this..pretty normal so far. Well, when I tried to start the car back up…guess what…nothing. The key turns but the engine does not start. Oh and there is a line of cars behind honking for me to get out of the way. So…what to do? I'm stuck in my car, not knowing the language with no one to help. Well, it is a well known fact here that if someone pushes the car for a bit, the car will magically start. I've seen it happen. So the gas attendant group up (without me asking!) and begin pushing my car! Woohoo! Or so I think… The car still does not start, and I soon realize they weren't exactly trying to help; they just wanted me out of the way. The car now stops at the only entrance of the gas station, and I'm in the middle of the driveway…no one can come in and no one can go out. What do I do? I pop the car in neutral, stick my left foot out and somehow manage to push the car out of the driveway…but now into the street… and the car is facing uphill! Why did I do that??!! Now I'm blocking the street traffic! Oh..and add to the fact I am on the busiest street in Addis…Bole Road. Well praise God…he sends two guys to come help me. All of a sudden two guys come behind the car, and start pushing. I have no clue who they are (but they obviously know the magical "roll the car to get it started" trick!) They push me about 10 yards up the top of the hill, and then the car starts cruising down the hill. The car is soon rolling faster than the guys can push and I soon am alone in a "dead" car…rolling down a hill. I pray to God one more time to get this car started…and guess what….it starts!!!! I rev the gas to make sure it doesn't die out again and try my best not to let this car stop while I drive it back home. I made it home.
Check out some sweet pics of my car here
No comments:
Post a Comment